(Original source: AllRecipes.com)
Caprese salad is an Italian dish, especially delicious in the summer when made with garden tomatoes and fresh basil. You may mix the ingredients in a bowl, but laying them out as described below is more aesthetically attractive and transforms this into a crowd pleasing appetizer. I prepared caprese salad for an Italian themed potluck and it was an instant hit.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: N/A
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- On a large platter, alternate and overlap the tomato slices, mozzarella cheese slices, and basil leaves.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.