In an effort to get more vegetables in my diet, I started making breakfast smoothies with spinach and kale. Unfortunately, they tasted like cardboard and were barely palatable. Then, I remembered that Dad makes himself a healthy smoothie every morning, so I asked him what he puts in it. When I made this smoothie at home, it was delicious! The orange juice masks the bitter taste of the kale. This is a perfect smoothie to drink for breakfast because the protein will stave off your hunger until lunch time, preventing you from binge eating later in the day.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: N/A
- 16 ounces (2 cups) of fresh squeezed orange juice (NOT from concentrate)– Dad highly recommends OJ
- You may substitute the orange juice for coconut milk OR coconut water, but the smoothie may be watered down
- Add two of the following four frozen berries, depending on your tastes:
- blueberries (10-12 berries)
- strawberries (8 berries)
- raspberries (8 berries)
- pineapple (8 slices)
- 1/2 of a banana (cut off the top stem of the banana to preserve the remaining half)
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 3 leaves of kale (Dinosaur/Lacinato Kale is most nutritious)
- 6 slices of cucumber
- 6 cubed slices of carrot
- 6-7 cubed slices of celery
- 5 leaves (or more) of parseley
- 1 serving of whey protein powder
- 6 Tbsp. of olive oil
- Up to 5 Tbsp. of cereal (optional)
- Pour orange juice into blender.
- Add other ingredients, blending as you go.