This casserole is one of my favorite weeknight dinners. If you prepare the baked eggplant ahead of time, it’s very quick and easy to put together. The spices are what really make the Mediterranean flavors come out- a nice twist on eggplant if you want to try something besides eggplant parmasan and don’t mind going non-vegetarian. Eat it as a stand-alone entree or with rice (or cauliflower rice if you are on a keto or other low-carb diet). It’s so delicious you will find it hard to believe it isn’t packed with carbs!
Original Source: The Low Carb Cookbook: The Complete Guide to the Healthy Low-Carbohydrate Lifestyle- with over 250 Delicious Recipes, by Fran McCullough
Preparation Time (not including pre-roasting the eggplant): 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour
Makes 4 servings
- 1 medium eggplant, oven-roasted (see Baked Eggplant recipe)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3/4 pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Muir Glen diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmasan cheese
- Prepare the eggplant and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375F. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and when it’s hot, add the onion. Saute the onion until it’s soft, then add the garlic and saute another minute. Remove the onion mixture to a bowl and return the skillet to the heat.
- Crumble the lamb into the hot pan and saute until it’s beginning to brown. Pour off any fat that’s accumulated and add the spices and salt and pepper. Stir and saute until the lamb is completely brown. Return the onion mixture to the skillet and add the tomatoes. Let simmer until most of the juices have evaporated.
- In a large gratin dish, make a layer of eggplant slices. Cover with half the lamb mixture and crumble feta cheese on top. Add another layer of eggplant slices and the remaining lamb mixture. Sprinkle the top with the Parmasan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.