Original Source: Gatherings Cookbook, by The Junior League
“Eggs Fantastic” is Aunt Jaymie’s family holiday breakfast. Not the healthiest meal in the world, but everything in moderation, right? After all, the holidays only come once a year. You won’t need to eat lunch after this.
- 12 eggs
- 1/ 3 cup sour cream
- 1 pound bulk sausage, any type
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¼ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ½ pound cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ pound mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ pound Swiss cheese, grated
- Salt & Pepper
- Beat eggs & sour cream. Pour into buttered 13 x 9 casserole dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until eggs are set.
- Saute sausage, onions & mushrooms. Season with salt & pepper. Drain fat. Spread meat mixture over eggs & top with grated cheeses. Bake at 325 degrees until cheese melts & casserole is heated through, about 30 minutes.
Serve with salsa.
Aunt Jaymie’s Tips:
Bake the egg base the night before, sauté the sausage & grate the cheeses. (Skip the onion & mushrooms). Then it’s quick to put together and bake.