I came across this recipe online while searching for a no-fuss week night meal that is easy to throw together and will not expand my waistline. This casserole is so delicious you would never guess that it is low-fat, low-carb and vegan or that the ingredients can be compiled in the amount of time it takes to pre-heat the oven. The bean spread in the middle is what gives the vegetables their flavor. The best part is that this stand-alone entree is quite filling. You don’t need to prepare a side dish to accompany the casserole unless you are inspired to.
Original Source: OhSheGlows.com
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1.5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced (The original recipe calls for 1.5 zucchini, but I use 2))
- 2 cups leftover homemade chili OR pasta sauce
- One 15-ounce can navy (great northern) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup spinach (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- Vegan parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F. Peel the eggplants and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Lay on a lined baking sheet and pre-cook eggplant only for about 15 minutes, or until shrivelled. Remove from oven and cool. While the eggplant is cooking, slice the zucchini and set aside. Now prepare your bean filling, by processing the drained beans, herbs, salt, garlic, olive oil, and nutritional yeast (optional) in a food processor until smooth. Gather the eggplant, zucchini, sauce, and bean filling and get ready to layer your casserole.
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease a mid-sized rectangular casserole dish with oil. Put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the dish. Arrange 1/3 of the eggplant slices over the sauce. Spread 1/2 of the bean filling over the eggplant, and put half of the zucchini on top. Add a layer of the sauce. Repeat eggplant, bean filling, zucchini, and sauce. Place the final layer of eggplant over the top and pour the remaining sauce evenly over top, spreading with a spoon.
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 425F. Once zucchini is cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle on some vegan parmesan cheese if desired.