(Original source: About.com “Southern Food” Recipes)
One of my culinary goals this summer is to expand my repertoire of pie recipes. You might think that with all the family recipes on this website I would have easy access to a recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie, but not so! After much Google-searching, I finally found the one you see below. I almost tried a recipe from Martha Stewart’s catalog, but did not feel like spending 6 hours preparing a pie. This recipe is quick, simple, and the orange zest adds a pleasant tangy flavor. I suggest making strawberry rhubarb pie in early summer when rhubarb is ripe and available in many major supermarkets.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
- Pastry for a 2-crust 9-inch pie *
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon quick cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 3 cups 1/2 inch pieces fresh rhubarb
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind/zest (optional) *
- 1 tablespoon butter
* You may make your own crust or buy a prepared one. You also have the option of creating a lattice-style crust.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar, tapioca, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Add the rhubarb, strawberries, and orange rind and stir until the mixture coats the spoon.
- Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry; spoon in the strawberry rhubarb mixture.
- Dot the top of the strawberry rhubarb mixture with the butter.
- Cover the pie with rolled out pastry; crimp edges.
- Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until crust is browned.
- Serve pie warm with with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
If the pie comes out runny, pop it in the refrigerator overnight to allow the ingredients to solidify.