I typically bring Strawberry Rhubarb Pie to summer gatherings, so when I couldn’t find rhubarb in my local supermarket I was in a bind. My friend Cecilia had requested a fruit pie for her picnic, so I googled “berry pie” and found this five star recipe from the Food Network. I ended up with enough filling for two pies, so I’ve cut the ingredients in half below. I also added the zest of half a lemon, which contributes a pleasant tangy flavor to counteract the sweetness of the berries and sugar. This may be my new favorite summer pie!
(Original Source: Food Network.com: “Cafe Hon’s Mixed Berry Pie”)
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 Tbsp. butter
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 unbaked pie crusts (use your own recipe or the one in the original)
- Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir with a fork.
- Place 1 crust into the pie pan. Spread 1/3 of the sugar mixture on the bottom and add fruit.
- Sprinkle lemon zest evenly on top of fruit mixture.
- Top the mixed berries with the rest of the sugar mixture.
- Place the top crust on the pie and gently press the top crust to the bottom. Trim with a knife and roll under. Press together with your thumb and forefinger to make a scalloped edge. With the knife, place 8 1/2 slits on the top of the pie.
- Alternately, you may make a lattice crust as pictured to the right, by flattening the top crust with a rolling pin and slicing it into strips which you criss-cross over each other on top of the fruit filling.
- Bake for 45 minutes. When checking the doneness of the filling, insert a knife into the center of the pie. If there is little or no resistance, the pie is done.
- Place the pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet to catch any drippings from the pie while it cooks.
- If the pie comes out runny, pop it in the refrigerator overnight or in the freezer for about 15 minutes to allow the ingredients to solidify.