If you are going to throw your diet out the window, this chocolate cake is worth the calories. The cake is unbelievably moist, almost to the point of having a fudge-like consistency. The best part is that it’s very simple to make- almost as easy as using a mix (but, that would truly be sinful)! 🙂 I baked this cake for an alumnae function and it was quickly devoured. One reviewer of the original AllRecipes.com recipe commented that the same recipe is on the back of the Hershey’s cocoa box. Regardless of where it came from, it’s amazing! Never again will I use another chocolate cake recipe. This one is staying for good.
The frosting recipe is courtesy of another reviewer of the cake recipe on AllRecipes.com.
Original Source: All Recipes.com: “One Bowl Chocolate Cake III”
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes two 9 inch cakes
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two nine inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer.
- Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. (Do not worry about the thin batter- this is what makes the cake so moist)!
- Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ½ cup butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- Melt butter and stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. If necessary, thin with additional milk.
- Add vanilla.