Grandmama (originally from Aunt Babe)
I found this recipe in Aunt Jaymie’s recipe box. It was written on an index card in Grandmama’s handwriting. This is different from the Apple Pie I used to make with Grandmama because this one includes egg and sour cream.
- 7-8 green apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- Sprinkle of salt (enough or
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup thick sweet cream or fresh sour cream
- Line pie tin with crust and build up a high rim.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar on bottom crust.
- Arrange apple slices as close as possible, overlapping a little.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over apples and a light sprinkling of salt.
- Beat lightly 1 egg and add 1/3 cup sugar and add 3/4 cup thick sweet cream or sour cream.
- Stir together and pour over apples to fill the pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake in hot oven at 450 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake until apples are tender when pricked (about 1 hour).
Aunt Babe’s Tips:
The amount of sugar really depends upon the tartness of the apples. A sweet apple is good for apple custard.