Miso is a Japanese soup and it’s very healthy! When my brother and I got sick as kids, my mom used to make us miso soup instead of the traditional chicken noodle soup that most parents make. She bought raw miso and made the soup from scratch. I believe she first learned about miso during her years in Japan when my grandfather was stationed there in the Navy.
- 8 cups water (bring to boil)
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 2 large carrots, cubed
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 3 thin slices fresh ginger, chopped
- Add anything else you might like
- Add ingredients to boiling water.
- Turn heat down and cook until carrots are not over-cooked, but still have a bit of a crunch.
- Take about 1/2 cup broth into a measuring cup and add miso to taste- perhaps as much as 1/2 cup. Mix with broth- add to pot after it has stopped boiling.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Enjoy! Do not bring to a boil again.