These are my sister’s version of mashed sweet potatoes. Generous amounts of butter, brown sugar, and sour cream are added to sweet potatoes/yams. If you are on a diet, I would try one of the other sweet potato recipes on this site, but if you are looking for a moment of indulgence, these fit the bill.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 5-6 yams (1 yam per person)
- 1 1/2 cubes of butter (6 sticks)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 16 oz. whole milk or sour cream
- Cinnamon and salt to taste
- Boil water and cook yams, leaving skin on.
- Drain yams in cold water and peel.
- Place yams in a bowl. Stir in butter and allow it to melt in hot yams.
- Add cinnamon, brown sugar, and milk/sour cream.
- Mix all ingredients using a masher or whipper until fluffy.
- Sprinkle a little cinnamon and/or salt on top.