Truly a Southern pie, this is my favorite dessert, period. Aunt Gail was a marvelous cook and she never made a dish I did not enjoy. My step grandmother Martha Webster Thompson made the best sweet potato pie on earth and used to serve it to me with sweet tea while I did my homework at her house in Martinsville, VA as a kid. Unfortunately, none of us ever got Martha’s recipe, but Aunt Gail’s comes very close.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-50 minutes
- 1 ½ cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs. potatoes)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups evaporated milk (large can)
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs with milk.
- Mix all together and blend until smooth.
- Heat filling in a sauce pan until almost boiling, and then pour into an unbaked pie crust.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425; reduce heat to 350 & bake 15-20 minutes more.
If possible, use organic sweet potatoes. You will notice an enormous difference in the flavor of the pie.