Mom was an improvisational cook, so the below measurements are just suggestions since she never put exactly the same amount of ingredients in each time. Because I never asked her for the recipe, these were the best estimates Dad and I could come up with.
- Abundant supply of freshly washed spinach
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Small amount of diced purple onions
- 2 Tbsp. sun dried tomatoes
- 4 black olives, sliced once in half
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- 2Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp. dried cranberries (optional- Mom didn’t use these, but it’s a nice addition)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour olive oil into pan. Be careful to not overdo the olive oil, as it can make the spinach soggy.
- Add garlic, then salt, pepper, onions, sun dried tomatoes, black olives, capers, and dried cranberries if you choose to use them.
- Cook on medium to low heat for 3 mins., slowly stirring ingredients occasionally, moving them towards center of pan.
- Add spinach and stir towards center of pan as before, but this time, do so briskly. Cook down to desired texture. If you need to add more spinach and it starts to get dry, add more olive oil, but only after spinach has cooked down all the way and it is certain that more oil is needed.
- Take off heat and add feta cheese, allowing it to melt on top of spinach mixture and then stir in.