This is an improvisational recipe that I created years ago when I first started living on my own. I simply blend all my favorite salad ingredients and live off of this for a few days. I love that this salad looks different every time I make it and allows ample room for creativity.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: N/A
- 1 head of fresh romaine lettuce or 1 bag of pre-washed romaine lettuce. *
- 1 carrot (you may substitute for shredded carrots if short on time)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 pack of cherry tomatoes
- Feta cheese or mozzarella balls
- Shaved parmasan cheese
- Dried cranberries
- Optional: cilantro, chickpeas, and/or tabouli
*You can use mixed greens if you like, but I always make sure there is some romaine.
- Place lettuce in bottom of large bowl.
- Add other ingredients. If preparing for company, I like to arrange the cucumbers, avocados, cherry tomatoes, and red peppers in fun designs on top of the lettuce. If you are going for a Christmas theme, use both red and green peppers.
- Serve with a dinner entrée or add tuna fish/chicken salad/sardines or other type of lean protein for a deliciously healthy lunch.
- You can serve with any type of dressing you like, but I usually eat this salad with olive oil which is especially good if you add sardines.
- If stored dry (without dressing), this salad stays good in the refrigerator for a couple days.
- Double the recipe if preparing for a large gathering.