These waffles have always been a Belle Haven favorite. (Belle Haven was the home of my mother’s second youngest sister Jan who has four children). They are light, fluffy, and make great pancakes as well. I remember when a handful of my cousins and I went to her friend Bob’s farm for pottery classes one summer when I was about ten. Auntie Jan made us waffles every morning before driving out to Bob’s.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 eggs
- Dash of vanilla (optional)
- 2 cups buttermilk (2 cups)
- Heat waffle iron.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry.
- Pour into waffle iron and cook until done.
Serve with butter and pure maple syrup.