Anna Filosi and Jane Durland
This recipe is from Jane Durland, a lovely woman who was Deputy Director of Human Resources at the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS). I began working at EOHHS shortly before Jane died from brain cancer in 2007. I never had the privilege of meeting Jane, but everyone in the office spoke very highly of her as a consummate professional, trusted friend, and confidante. After hearing so many stories about Jane, I feel like I knew her. My friend Anna, who was very close to Jane, gave me her banana bread recipe which I include here in Jane’s memory. You will not find a better banana bread recipe anywhere!
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal (quick oatmeal is fine)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Optional: Add tropical nuts, dates, raisins, or cranberries for variety.
- Mash bananas well and mix thoroughly with beaten egg, sugar, and oil.
- Sift together remaining dry ingredients except oatmeal and add to banana mixture. Then mix in oatmeal.
- Bake in a greased 5×9 inch pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.